TRENTON – Trenton Mayor Tony Mack has been indicted on extortion and bribery charges, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
A federal grand jury in Trenton Thursday returned an eight-count indictment charging Mack, his brother, Ralphiel Mack, and Mack’s close associate, Joseph A. “JoJo” Giorgianni, with extortion, bribery and mail and wire fraud, U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman announced.
The defendants were indicted in connection with a scheme to accept $119,000 in bribes in exchange for Mack’s official actions and influence in assisting cooperating witnesses in the development of an automated parking garage on city-owned land, according to the office.
Mack, 46, and the alleged co-conspirators were charged in September with one count of conspiracy to obstruct commerce by extortion.
The Indictment returned today adds the following charges:
• One count of attempted obstruction of commerce by extortion under the color of official right against Tony F. Mack, Giorgianni and Ralphiel Mack (Count 2);
• One count of accepting and agreeing to accept bribes against Tony F. Mack and Ralphiel Mack (Count 3);
• One count of giving and agreeing to give bribes against Giorgianni (Count 4);
• Three counts alleging that the defendants devised a scheme to defraud the City of Trenton and its citizens of money and property and of defendant Tony F. Mack’s honest services (Counts 5 to 7);
• One extortion count charging Giorgianni with participating in an additional scheme of arranging to steer a power washing contract to a city vendor in exchange for a kickback to a Trenton employee (Count 8).
On his first visit to South Carolina as chairman of the Republican Governors Association, Gov. Chris Christie stayed in "moderate Charleston, in contrast to other potential GOP candidates who made early visits to conservatives elsewhere," according to an ABC News report.Read More >
Bergen County Executive's Race: Tedesco goes up on cable TV with introductory ad James Tedesco, Democratic candidate for Bergen County Executive, goes up on cable television Tuesday for the first time this season. (Pizarro/PolitickerNJ) http://www.politickernj.com/81501/bergen-county-executives-race-tedesco-goes-cable-tv-introductory-ad Stockton Poll: Belgard and MacArthur tied in CD3 In New Jersey’s key...
By JEFF BRINDLE It is critical that the Legislature soon enact a pending bill that would ensure the state’s Gubernatorial Public Financing Program is available in the event of a special election for governor. Not only is there no current legal... Read More >
"[Lyndon] Johnson understood that so far as a man was a political animal (and therefore not searching for some private truth which might be independent of politics) he was then, if deprived of his properties, close to being a dead man." - Norman Mailer- Miami and the Siege of Chicago
Press releases are submitted by PolitickerNJ users, not by staff. They do not represent the viewpoint of PolitickerNJ.com.